Tuesday, January 23, 2007

P4E.001 The End of the World as We Know It

"It's the end of the world as we know it..."
Michael Stipe/R.E.M.

Here's a SHOCK:Virtually nothing of our current reality will exist unchanged in heavenly eternity. The earth will be new. Our bodies will be new and different. Little of what we identify as our "selves" will persist into heaven. Galatians 3:28 makes it clear that no religious identity, no social status nor even GENDER has a place in heaven.

In Matthew 22:30, Jesus teaches that not even the institution of MARRIAGE will exist in heaven. If you're like me you might ask the question, "Why then, were these identifying characteristics and relationships created by God for this present reality?" One good man I know (his initials are K.en N.air) says that it's because their purpose is to be accomplished here on earth as (you guessed it) preparation for eternity. How can it be that these identifying characteristics and even my marriage prepare me for eternity? What purposes are to be fulfilled? If I'm to be stripped of most of what I consider to be "me" what is it that's being prepared for eternity? More to follow....

All the best, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment