Tuesday, October 21, 2008

P4E.090 Perspective Redux

Sometimes problems that look big ARE, in fact, big.

On September 1st, a friend's son woke up "to realize he could not move the left side of his body. He has developed a tumor in the front right side of his brain. The tumor caused major brain swelling and a stroke which is what led to the paralysis. He began to re-gain some use of his body and the doctors were waiting for the swelling to go down before going in to remove the tumor. They put him on assisted breathing to help him relax to make the swelling go down faster. He has also been heavily medicated because of the tremendous pain in his head...(He) is only 24 years old and is very healthy. He does not drink or smoke or do drugs. He works very very hard to provide for his family. He is scheduled to get married on Sep. 23rd. Doctors say that working 100 hour weeks and planning a wedding is the ammo for the tumor and trigger for the strokes."

I saw my friend last Friday. His son is still in the hospital and his condition has gone up and down since the initial stroke. He has been fully aware of some very painful procedures that have had to be performed without anesthetics. My friend shook my hand, gave me a hug and thanked me for all the prayers. He seemed so strong and up beat. I had to swallow hard to keep the lump in my throat down and blinked away tears that started to form.

I know that they say that God gives you strength to endure hardships and that at a certain point you realize you have no choice but to go on. I wonder about myself... My two older sons are right in the same age range, 23 and 26.

For now, I continue to pray for my friend's son, I say to myself "There, but for the grace of God, go I," and I try to keep my own problems in perspective. I'm going to Christ to keep from feeling overwhelmed and to remain strong for those closest to me who are counting on me.

God help me.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."
Jesus

Peace, Kim

1 comment:

  1. Prayers for your friend's family and son.

    ReplyDelete