Monday, January 16, 2012

P4E.230 Love = Self Sacrifice Part 7

Image by Scott Garner at BEST OF

As I said earlier, I am the last person who should be writing about self sacrificial love, because I have so little experience. What will follow, then, are humble suggestions; a few from my poor experience and some from my imagination.

My second suggestion for practicing self sacrificial love will also probably catch you off guard:

Let the one you love in on what you are doing.

This is about sacrificing what you might consider your "right to privacy." Your life, public and private, should be an open book to the one you love. If, as Scripture puts it, you become "one" with your wife, she should know what you know. Where are you? What are you doing? How much will it cost? Who are you with? What are you looking at? What are you thinking? What are you eating? When will you be home? How are you feeling? Why (insert whatever circumstance here)? What are the usernames and passwords? It comes down to simple, open, honest communication.

Now, if you're like me, this just isn't as easy as it sounds. My hackles kind of go up even as I write the questions. Why does she need to know all that stuff? What if I just don't want her to know? So what? I don't expect to know everything that's going on with her, why should I have to let her in on everything going on with me? That's my life. That's me. I don't have to tell her everything... OK, guys, but may I just point out that those questions are NOT Christlike. And here's my proof:

Christ said to those He loved,

"...I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you."

"I have told you before it comes to pass, that when it comes to pass, you may believe."

"I have spoken openly to the world, I always taught in the synagogues, and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret."

"To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God..."

When two disciples wondered where Christ was staying, He answered, "Come, and you will see."

"For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it should come to light."

Finally, Christ warns us about our penchant for dark secrets, "And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed."

So, now I even let Gwen know when I am going upstairs to get some socks. Does that seem over the top to you? I just know that Gwen appreciates being clued in to where I'm at. And if I'm giving her too much information, then she can let me know.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment