Wednesday, January 24, 2007

P4E.002 Cozying up to the World

"It was a beautiful letdown
when I crashed and burned...
I was trying so hard to fit in
until I found out
I don't belong here, I don't belong..."
Jon Foreman/Switchfoot

Despite my conversion experience and numerous Scriptural warnings, I've found myself cozying up to the World and everything in it. I'm confident in and comfortable with what I can touch, taste, smell, hear and especially see. I'm very conscious of my own physical body, its appearance, care and comfort zones.

I have been much less comfortable with or concerned about those things which are unseen. This has meant that I have been uncomfortable with and unconcerned about God, Christ and all things spiritual. Tragically, the consequences are that I have been barren of spiritual fruit and ill-prepared for heavenly eternity.

With every move and decision that I've made to bring more comfort to my physical existence, I've invested in building my "treasures on earth." I have made relatively few moves to build my "treasures in heaven," so my heart (spirit) condition has been poor.

This did not bode well for the part of me that will persist into heavenly eternity: my SPIRIT. So, I have begun to shift my emphasis from the physical world to my spirit and the spirits of others. Have I become an ascetic? No, I love my wife, Gwen's cooking too much for that, but the reality is beginning to sink in:

"I don't belong here, I don't belong
I don't belong here, I don't belong
I don't belong here, I don't belong
I don't belong here, I don't belong..."

Peace, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment