Tuesday, May 8, 2007

P4E.022 Horse Sense

Last weekend we went to a clinic held by a well-known horsetrainer named Clinton Anderson. So much of what we were taught about horses and their trainers seemed to transfer to human relationships that I thought I would dwell on it for a bit.

"Frustration begins when knowledge ends"
Clinton Anderson

Whether Clinton knew it or not, this is a very Scriptural concept as in Proverbs 14:29 "He who is slow to anger has great understanding, But he who is quick-tempered exalts folly." Frustration and anger are two emotions that we men CAN name and do recognize. I can't tell you how many times I have been frustrated in my relationships with my wife and children. How angry I have been towards them, because I felt that they misunderstood me, mistook me, disobeyed me, disappointed me, had different opinions from mine, couldn't understand that my way was the right way.

I have learned a lot since those times and what that knowledge has meant is that I make every effort not to terrorize my wife and children anymore. When I'm slower to frustration and anger I gain greater understanding to the point that I don't get angry and frustrated. I know you may be saying to yourself, "Sure, Kim..." but, I am telling you that with God's help I have really changed directions in this area of my life. Sure, I still get angry, frustrated, impatient at times but much less frequently and that is not the track record I am making now. And, the biggest thing is that I now recognize when I get angry, frustrated and impatient and have the tools to acknowledge, apologize and repent from blowing up my home. God help me to continue.

So, what knowledge am I talking about that will ward off frustration and anger? It's the knowledge of my own spirit, of my wife's spirit and my children's spirit and all of the others who look to me for spiritual leadership. It's the knowledge of assessing their spiritual condition and knowing how God would have me minister to where they're at. It is the knowledge of God's Word to help me know what He requires of me. It's the knowledge of what spiritual fruit I will need to evidence to let God, others and myself know I'm operating in His will (See Galatians 5:22).

I haven't asked before, but, do you have anything to add to (or contradict) what I'm saying?

Peace, Kim

1 comment: