Friday, July 6, 2007

P4E.030 Zombie Flesh Redux

When I put my flesh to death, I realize that my flesh is a zombie! It keeps getting back up! I need to put it to death again..."
Ken Nair, Founder Life Partners

In the last post I paraphrased Ken on the flesh being like a zombie. Above is the exact quote.

"You can't put the flesh to death with the flesh."
Dave Dufour, Life Partners

I've heard that you "can't fight fire with fire." This is the same idea. The fact is, that many times I do try to put my flesh to death with fleshly ways, ideas and values. Example: I use my intellect/reason or I exercise my own willpower to try to make myself change an un-Christlike thought, word or action pattern. Most of the time it's worse. Not only does my flesh not put my flesh to death, my flesh actually ends up rationalizing what my flesh wants to do. Arrrrgh!

When I fail, I'm immersed in my thoughts, my comfort , my possessions, my time, my desires, my values...me, my, mine. Inevitably, I become impatient, frustrated and angry when I do this. I do it often. I did it last night.....This way of living and thinking is a useless tool in killing the zombie flesh.

What has started to work for me is actualizing Scripture, "for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

Scripture says "...but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses...to the remotest part of the earth." I think this verse has been misused over time. This Holy Spirit power was meant as a help for us to be in the continuous process of killing our flesh so that we can be a good example for Christ's sake.

So, the idea is that I get my own spirit into the zombie flesh killing action by immersing myself in God's Holy Spirit. "For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God...and those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

God help me to be immersed in your Spirit (and my spirit and my wife's spirit and my sons' spirits and my friends' spirits) so that I can be more like you and more prepared for eternity!

Blessings, Kim

PS: I've quoted Scripture, but purposely not given you the references. If you are interested, your quest will involve finding them yourself. Hint: Try Acts and Romans.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, Yes. Only by the Spirit can we do that. And I think the Word, being immersed in Scripture as well as in the Spirit, as you put it so well here, is important. I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, I agree completely. Being immersed in the Word is critical to being immersed in the Holy Spirit. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete