Friday, January 18, 2008

P4E.056 Wishing On A Star

I'm not sure why I'm writing this post. It has something to do with believing the idea that physical circumstances are put into my life by God to teach me spiritual lessons. I try to take notice when unusual things happen and when the same darn thing happens over and over again.

A few nights ago, I went out to take one of our dogs, Dunkin, a yellow Labrador retriever, for a walk as usual. As soon as I walked out of the house I noticed the silence. I live near some well-travelled streets and it is very unusual for it to be truly quiet. This silence was as though I had covered my ears and drowned out all sound. I looked up. Crystal clear, dry and cool, stars twinkled against the dark night sky. A sliver of a crescent moon, like a luminescent rose petal, hovered above the mountains in the west. I turned around to look at the sky just above my house. Out of the corner of my eye, coming out of the east, I saw a streak of light. It looked like a firework sparkler with a long tail and lazily streaked from my right to my left so close in the air above me. As it sped silently towards the setting crescent moon it disappeared. It felt like I was in a lucid dream. The feeling I got was one of catching a glimpse of true harmony in the Universe. I felt peace. It caught my breath...

CS Lewis described moments like these as "romantic," as exemplified in Novalis' Blaue Blume (Blue Flower). Sometimes it might be a piece of music, a poem, a scenic view in nature that gives us that romantic, fleeting, glimpse of what harmony with the Creator would be like. My wife, Gwen, says that she experiences these moments when she's doing "natural-horsemanship" training with her silver-dun quarter horse, Sterling.

When events converge like they did for me that night I'm filled with a seemingly unfulfilled longing; a striving for the infinite and unreachable. We belong with God, in Heaven, and events like these confirm our "fish-out-of-water" existence here on earth. I wanted that feeling, that moment, to last longer....forever. Of course, it didn't. At once, the silence and the "spell" were broken. It's so hard to describe the "magic" of that moment. It makes me wonder what it will be like...with Him...forever...

Have you ever experienced something like this? How did it make you feel?

Peace, Kim

PS - I'm not a superstitious person, but yes, I did make a wish. The first wish that came to mind was that my relationship with my wife and my 3 sons would continue to improve and be whole and healthy.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it bad to share what you wish for? That's what we always tell my daughter.

    I love the kind of moments you describe here. I've always thought of them as little epiphanies--moments of God's presence that are just a little more clear, just a little more intense.

    It's funny how those moments often come when I'm away from all of the noise and busy-ness of daily life. Almost as if I could experience this kind of presence more often if I had the discipline to listen and the will to surround myself with a little more silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe this is the most beautiful piece you've shared here. And I have the same sense of longing... for more! [of this kind of writing from you]

    Sorry I've been so quiet lately... just trying to keep my head above water right now. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark: haha I told you I wasn't superstitious, so have no qualms about sharing my wish. I like what you say here. I think purposeful listening is even more important than the silence.

    LL: and to think I almost didn't write it. Thank you, because it means a lot to me coming from you. Don't blame you. It sounds like you're really busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. And I hope this encourages you to dig into this side of yourself, your writing. There's richness waiting if you do.

    ReplyDelete