Friday, October 24, 2008

P4E.091 A Fork in the Road

It feels so much like I, personally, and we, as a country, are standing at a fork in the road...

There's many expressions for this place. A "fork in the road." A "pregnant pause." Standing "on the brink." "Hanging in the balance." "Holding your breath." "Look before you leap." The "suspense is killing me." I wish I could "see what's coming around the bend." I'm "waiting for the other shoe to drop." It's the "calm before the storm."

It's that place where potential energy has built to a climax and we're "filled with anticipation" as to how it's going to be released. Everything seems "on hold," waiting for some known, or unknown, occurrence to trigger or precipitate action.

I / We are approaching what could be an epochal event which, I believe, will mark the start of a new era. I can feel the anticipation of it. With regard to the country, it seems plain that around half of the people will be disappointed and the other half will be elated with the outcome. What will we do with that disappointment? What will we do with the exultation of success? Personally, there is an anxiousness that will not go away until that precipitating event occurs. It's a place of great expectations and great anxiety.

Charles Dickens opened his classic "A Tale of Two Cities," about the French Revolution, with this famous line:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way."

That's the way I feel right now. Like I'm standing at a fork in the road. Should I / we go left? Or should I / we go right? High or low? In any case, I / we will soon stop "sitting on the fence" and "either fish or cut bait."

Only time will tell...

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." The Apostle Paul to the Romans

Guard your heart, Kim

1 comment:

  1. on the brink, yes... apparently we were (I see your date for this was October 24... prescient!)

    ReplyDelete