Saturday, May 1, 2010

P4E.138 The Best Safety Device is a Careful Man - Part 3

Construction Site Sign

A safe man is careful with: The way he drives (cont'd)

I need to be open to the idea that my wife may be a better judge than I am of how 'safe' I drive. My driving sheds light on how callous I am to perceiving a threat. It is a grave danger to be passive, callous, or insensitive to physical and spiritual threats. I need help in assessing and perceiving threats to the spiritual safety of myself and my loved ones. Where can I go for that help? Ken Nair, founder of
Life Partners, asks the question: "Could God be so uncomplicated as to call our help, "help?" God knew that we would need help when He said "It is not good for man to be alone. I will make for him a help." (Gen. 2:18) Then He created woman...


My wife has sometimes asked me these questions while I am driving:

"Do you know where you're going?"

"Why don't you stop and ask for directions?"


In driving, as in relationships, 'safe' is a state of mind, a feeling, as much or more than it is a status. Feeling 'safe' includes the peace of mind of knowing where we are going, that we're in agreement on that destination and how we are going to get there.


Think of it this way: I get in the car, I'm in the 'driver's seat.' My wife and kids get in the car, they are 'along for the ride.' I can drive in such a way as to terrify them. They cannot escape without causing a scene and being stranded somewhere between where we started and where I am taking them. They are trapped. My wife may tell me that she doesn't like the way I'm driving. I can ignore her, continue to drive recklessly and crash injuring all of us. Even if we reach our destination without crashing, my wife may not forgive my recklessness. In the future, she may refuse to get back in the car with me. It would be better to be careful, agree upon a destination, arrive safely, and not cause any damage along the way.


Be Safe, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment