Thursday, June 10, 2010

P4E.156 The Best Safety Device is a Careful Man - Part 17

Construction Site Sign

A safe man is careful with: His life! (cont'd)

In my last post, I described who I was then:

A whitewashed tomb/poser/hypocrite

I am confident that I am now no longer there. How is that happening? It started with recognizing that my fleshly nature is dark and sinful. When I remain humble and teachable (not arrogant), I leave the tomb door open for Christ to examine and bring light to my heart, my character, my attitudes. His WORD helps me to contrast His ways and my own ways. I use this knowledge to RESIST and CHANGE my own ways to be more like His. This is constant WORK. If I don't continually work at changing I will return to my default values - the worldly, fleshly, dark & sinful ones.

I believe that Alcoholics Anonymous adopted this Scriptural model by having its members introduce themselves as alcoholics no matter how long they have refrained from alcohol. They know that their members all have the potential to return to their default alcoholic values and ways. They acknowledge that they need help from a "Higher Power." They support each other and hold each other accountable. This is a model that we Believers need to co-opt back from AA!

Scripture says:
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be...abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain..."

THIS WORK IS NOT PHYSICAL WORK. IT IS SPIRITUAL WORK.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against...the spiritual forces of wickedness."

So then, in taking care about how I live my life, I have moved from a poser to an acknowledged sinner who recognizes his nature and is in a constant battle to resist and change it. God help me!

"For I am the same person still: and though the Lord has dealt bountifully and wonderfully with me since, I have still equal reason to lie low in the dust before him, with my hand upon my mouth, and to say, "Lord, be merciful to me a sinner.""
John Newton, 1791

Peace, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment