Friday, June 18, 2010

P4E.159 The Best Safety Device is a Careful Man - Part 20

Construction Site Sign

A safe man is careful with: His life! (cont'd)


The September 2006 cover story of Men's Journal was "Perfect Things" and had a picture of a 1958 Chevy Corvette C1. Perfect. It's not often that we see anything put forward as "perfect." I wonder, when the guys that designed the 1958 Chevy Corvette C1 were designing it, did they think that sometime in the future it would be deemed "perfect?"

This reminds me of Jesus' command in Matthew 5:48. Right in the middle of the Sermon on the Mount, He says, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Whenever we begin to create anything it's not common that we strive for "semi-perfect." We don't usually think "well, this project is going to go all wrong, so I'm not even going to try to make it right." But that does seem to be the way we approach a Christlike life. I have a tendency to throw in the towel before I ever get started. I have the excuse of being "human." It's easy for Jesus to say "be perfect" because, well, He's Jesus! I'm all too willing to settle for "semi-Christlike."

The more ambitious the endeavor, the more we realize that we cannot execute our creation without help. We don't usually consider this acknowledgement of needing help as "weakness" but as realistic and furthering the overall cause of getting it right. Getting help increases the chances of getting it perfect. No one man was responsible for creating the 1958 Chevy Corvette C1.

But, we don't think this way when it comes to being Christlike. Then it becomes a manly, macho, poser thing that we can't possibly show weakness, vulnerability or need. But, frankly, I do need help in this quest for Christlikeness. I need accountability help and my helpmate's help and the Helper that Christ promised would come after He left.

Did Jesus know what He was commanding us? What do I do with His command to "be perfect?" Ken Nair, founder of Life Partners, has really helped me to come to grips with this dilemma. He says, "It's not about being perfect! It's about the sincerity of your pursuit of Christlikeness." This helps me because I know that I can't be perfect, but can I perfect my pursuit of being Christlike? YES!

Blessings, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment