Wednesday, January 12, 2011

P4E.197 God is Light. In Him There is No Darkness at All


An annoying thing is happening out in front of my house every night. We live on a corner and there's a street light there. Lately, every few minutes, the light will suddenly go out, plunging the corner into darkness. After a few seconds it will flicker back to life, dimly. Then, slooowly, it will, by degrees, regain its former luminosity. Only to repeat the process in another few minutes. It's not only annoying; it's dangerous!

Scripture says,
"God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another..." I John 1:5-7

And my friend and mentor, Ken Nair, says,
"We don't want God's reputation sullied because we men don't follow His ways. We want our lives to be a witness of the value of Christianity."

I periodically remind whoever is reading this blog that I am not writing from "on high" having arrived anywhere but where I happen to be at the moment. I trudge along. I trip and fall. I get up. I trudge some more. And yes, sometimes (hopefully, more often than not) I can walk upright and even skip and dance. But, I try to be leery about getting too comfortable and taking my walk for granted.

My journey's quest, that is to say, what I'm searching for is CONSISTENCY.

I don't want to be like that unreliable street light in front of my house, periodically plunging into dangerous darkness. Scripture doesn't say that God is "a flickering light." He and His Word are a bright and steady "lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" which guide me"in the paths of righteousness." I'm constantly rediscovering how important the Holy Scriptures are to the consistency of my Belief, my ability to follow His ways and consequently, my marriage. God, be my help!

1 comment:

  1. I commend you for bringing readers along on your journey with honesty and openness. :) We are glad to have you aboard the High Calling network and hope to get to know you better. We long to be consistent with our values, and it's a good place to find community and accountability. Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete